A BRIEF HISTORY
Today the Oshawa Civic Band is the result of the amalgamation of two bands in 1920 - the Regimental Band of the 34th Ontario Regiment, a traditional Military Brass band, having been raised in 1866 at the time of The Regiment, and from the Town Band formed in 1870 later known as the Oshawa Citizens Band. After the amalgamation it was known as The Oshawa Regimental and Civic Band. By 1968, The Ontario Regiment lost its capability of having a Military Band, but many of the members continued to play with the newly named Oshawa Civic Band.
Over time the Band evolved into its current configuration of a traditional "British" brass band (similar to those in use by The Salvation Army), which means that all parts, except for the bass trombone and percussion, are in treble clef, and the instrumentation is made up of Eb Soprano Cornet, Solo, 1st/Repiano, 2nd and 3rd Bb Cornets, Bb Flugel Horn, Solo, 1st and 2nd Eb Tenor Horns, 1st and 2nd Baritones, Euphonium, 1st and 2nd (Tenor) Trombones, Bass Trombone, EEb and BBb bass and percussion.
Rehearsals are Monday evenings between 8:00 and 10:00 in the band room behind the band shell in Memorial Park. New players are always welcome. Please feel free to drop in and see us!
The Oshawa Civic Band is an all volunteer organization dependent on performance fees, donations and sponsorship. Tax creditable donations are used to support general band activities such as the purchase of music and equipment, and ongoing operational expenses.
A gift of any amount to The Oshawa Civic Band whether as a tax donation or as a legacy gift in your estate plan could make a real difference to our Band's future and to the importance of live music in our community. Its satisfying - its easy!
Oshawa Civic Band is a registered charitable organization
NO. 86251 7539 RR0001
Donate online through Canada Helps and receive an instant tax receipt.
You can contact the band via e-mail: